I've now taken green taxis a number of times, and I want to share a couple quick thoughts on the difference, based solely on the experiences I've had in the last couple months:
- Think Sixth Avenue extends above central park South. (It does not. Also, I know it's called Avenue of the Americas, but I refuse to use that name.)
- Have never heard of Citi Field and don't know how to get there.
- Don't know how to operate the meter.
- Ask whether Tribeca is in Manhattan or Brooklyn. (!!!)
- Thinks it's OK to interject in a backseat conversation when they have something to add.
- Know the city like the back of their hand
- Know the outer boroughs well enough to get damn near anywhere efficiently
- Never EVER make a mistake with the meter
- Mind their own business - until you engage them. And then they're more than happy to chat.
- Will return a lost wallet found in the back of their cab and will REFUSE any cash offered as reward. This happened last week, and I was blown away.
I don't always take taxis, but when I do, I prefer yellow cabs. You should too.